Saturday, January 17, 2009

Eyes of Janus

 
               The first of January was dedicated by the Romans to their God of Gates and Doors, Janus. A very old Italian God, Janus has a distinctive artistic appearance in that he is commonly depicted with two faces...one regarding what is behind and the other looking toward what lies ahead. Thus, Janus is representative of contemplation on the happenings of an old year while looking forward to the new

 

Dear JY,

             Last week of December, I thought of something doing good.  I looked for someone in the streets to perform my ritual. I found out an Old Afghan Cobbler, with a long off white beard and having a brown turban on his head. He used to sit near to the Pedestrian crossing of our street with his knife and thread. But knowingly or unknowingly I forgot to give something to him on the Christmas night. So I postponed it to the last day of the Year.


             My friends called me to celebrate the New Year in their City. I expressed my interest and suggested them to celebrate the year end at the beach. I packed up for two days and went out of my room to their living city. While reaching the pedestrian crossing, I searched for the Afghan man of senile. But he was not there. With a little disappointment I resumed my travel for the celebration. It was a little difficult for the driver to drive in such a foggy atmosphere. So it took an hour more to reach than usual. When I reached there, I have seen the streets which were usually crowded at these days, were deserted now. I came to know that all celebrations were called off here due to Israel aggressions at Gaza Strip. I called my friends, “Da, No Celebration at the Beach. We are going to celebrate in a Hotel, Join with us in the Dance floors.” Ah, Let’s see. Me and my brother walked towards the Hotel. On the way he asked me, Da ithu Veno . Chumma, to show our presence only. When we reached infront of the Hotel, I again called my friend, Da, Which floor. “Da ,We haven’t reached there. We are stuck with Traffic. Need at least half an hour to reach there”. He told. “Then we will take another rounds and will come” ....Ok. “So my brother, how we push of our time....” “Shall we go to church.” Why not....Hey,Taxi


11:45 pm


Before we reached the church, the Holy mass had finished. Priest was giving the final blessings to the people. We too joined with the people to get the blessing. We came out of the church. While taking the hot black coffee at the church premises, Priest announced “There is a small night vigil to receive the New Year”


11:55 pm


Priest asked to meditate about His blessings in these year...I closed my eyes to picturise His grace throughout these year...Choir was singing as the reflection of my mind....


“എന്നൊടുള്ള നിന്‍ സര്‍വ്വ നന്‍‌മകള്‍ക്കായി ഞാന്‍
എന്തു ചെയെണ്ടു  നിനക്കു യെശുപരാ


നന്ദി കൊണ്ടന്റെ ഉള്ളം നന്നെ നിറയുന്നേ...."


 

12:01 am


All devotees hold the lighted candles and saw the first visual of the New Year. ‘His Body and His blood.’ Choir was singing again.....


"നന്ദി കൊണ്ടന്റെ ഉള്ളം നന്നെ നിറയുന്നേ...."

12:05 am

Priest was again asking to meditate on our thoughts about future. He prayed for His Grace to fulfil our longings. Choir was humming...


"നിന്റെ ഹിതം പൊലെ എന്നെ നിത്യം നടത്തിടനണമെ
എന്റെ ഹിതം പൊലെ അല്ലെ ........എന്‍ പിതാവെ....എന്‍ യെഹൊവെ"

I smiled at me,when i thought of where i decided to go and where my celebration ended up...


I always amazed by His Call from the deep darkness of the night to the brightness of the new dawn....

 

Ennu Snehapoorvam


Subin


I used to see the Old Cobbler who is busy with his work....Yet i didn’t give my gifts to him. I’m looking for another Good day to give.




 



 


 


 





No comments: